Monday 11 March 2013

Feathers {Forest QAL}

Forest QAL started with beautiful woodpecker block designed by Julianna. I'm really happy and amazed, how many of you decided to join Forest QAL and are sewing wit us. Just have a look at all those beautiful woodpecker blocks in Forest QAL Flickr group. Simply amazing!

I designed block with feathers. I always valued feathers very much. For me they have a special meaning, especially feathers from birds of prey and owls (I was working for a long time with animals, I raised many birds and I was also deeply interested in Native American Culture for few years). Besides, in animal-themed QAL there simply had to be feathers.

I was already showing 2 block designs in info post about QAL, so you know, that there will also be Eurasian jay block. I decided to sew jay's feathers (I modified slightly the PP pattern which I'm sharing, adding more lines on the black/blue side of both feathers; the pattern in pdf will look exactly like the one in the EQ7 drawing below).

Nasz QAL rozpoczal sie przepieknym blokiem z dzieciolem, zaprojektowanym przez Julianne. Bardzo mnie cieszy, ze tyle osob (w tym z Polski) zdecydowalo sie dolaczyc do Forest QALu i szyc razem z nami. W grupie Forest QAL na Flikrze mozecie zobaczyc wszystkie bloki, ktore do tej pory zostaly uszyte - a jest co ogladac! [Jesli nie macie konta na Flikr a chcecie dodac tam swoje zdjecie, przeslijcie mi je na maila, a ja je dolacze]. 
Moj pierwszy blok w QALu to piora. Mam do nich bardzo specyficzny stosunek i mysle, ze na pewien sposob sa dla mnie magiczne. Zwlaszcza piora ptakow drapieznych i sow. Mysle, ze ma to zwiazek z moim dlugoletnim zainteresowaniem kultura Indian Ameryki Polnocnej i moja praca ze zwierzetami i ich wychowaniem. A poza tym, jakze moze zabraknac pior w tak tematycznym QALu :) 
Jako ze w pierwszym poscie informujacym o QALu pokazalam 2 bloki, wiecie, ze bedzie tez sojka. Zdecydowalam sie na piora sojki, zeby wszystko ladnie pasowalo. Wzor zmienilam troszke na swoje potrzeby. Dodalam wiecej linii po jednej stronie pior, zeby wyszly gesciejsze niebieskie i czarne paski.



The aim was to make them look a bit like those: 


This is how the pdf pattern looks. Block measures 12" x 12" finished: 

Tak wyglada blok z piorami (mierzy 30 cm x 30cm):

 


* here is the mirrored image of the block:

* tu jest lustrzane odbicie bloku (moze sie przydac przy ukladaniu czesci):


*  Important! * The templates in pdf are mirrored, so to get the correct direction in the block (big feather is on the left), you have to sew with printed-side of the paper up and the fabric is on the non-printed side of the paper, with the wrong side of the fabric facing the paper (see also the second photo below):

* Wazne! * Zeby otrzymac dokladnie taki blok jak pokazalam na pierwszym obrazku (duze pioro po lewej), musicie szyc strona zadrukowana do gory, a material ma znajdowac sie pod spodem, lewa strona zwrocony do papieru (patrz - drugie zdjecie ponizej). Jesli chcecie, mozecie oczywiscie uszyc blok w odbiciu lustrzanym; mysle, ze nie robi to zbyt wielkiej roznicy :)




* assembling parts:

* zszywanie czesci:



Don't forget to show us your block in Forest QAL Flickr group! I can't wait to see which colors and fabrics you will choose to make the feathers. Maybe some of you will also try to imitate feathers of a particular bird :)

Nie zapomnijcie pokazac swoich blokow w naszej Flickr'owej grupie! Jestem bardzo ciekawa jakie materialy i kolory wybierzecie do uszycia pior. A moze sprobujecie uszyc piora jakiegos konkretnego ptaka? 

17 comments:

  1. Joasiu, niesamowite!!! Bardzo piekne! J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love feathers and these are amazing - thanks for sharing all these patterns with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful feathers ~ thanks so much for the tutorial. Didn't realize there was a sew along. I'm joining up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean pattern ~ it's really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pattern is great! I,to, have a special relationship with feathers. My mother loved birds and after she passed she bombarded me with feathers- quite a few at first and now only occasionally. I know she is sending me her love when I find one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's another lovely block! I hope to find time to make this one in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Piękne, piękne, czekałam na nie. Strasznie się cieszę, że będę mogła spróbować. Od razu poznałam, że to sójkowe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you - these are so detailed and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dziękuję za udostępnienie wzoru. Jestem w trakcie szycia :) Mam nadzieję, że się uda i te drobiażdżki mnie nie pokonają...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This block is so stunning - as I said on another blog it reminds me of an ilustration in a book belonging to my son. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, just wow. ia m so glad I found you on the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way your fabric choice at the bottom of the feathers shows them looking "wispy" , the way they really are! Your work is always really inspiring and I am happy to try this one out !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jestem absolutnie oczarowana Twoimi pracami ... są przepiękne / obejrzałam wszystkie posty na blogu :) /

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous pattern!!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where can I purchase this pattern?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...